Yep. It’s a new year and I decided to delete my Facebook account. Let me tell you, it has not been easy. For a few many reason. Three main reasons why it's been hard.
- One of the main reasons is that my husband and I would tag each other in posts, articles, or photos. Whenever we were thinking of each other. I MISS doing that. I also miss doing that with some of my close friends as well.
- Seeing what "everyone" was up to. I miss the feeling of online community already. It seems I have been part of an online comminuty since my blurty/online journal days. That's been well over a decade.
- Having a place to post my bits or thoughts. I had a few bits that I wanted to share with the masses.
The last one has been challenging. Where do I post my bits, thoughts or randomness now? With that sentiment, here are three main reasons why I decided to delete facebook.
- It was a time waster. As much as I loved keeping in touch with friends and family. I would spend numerous amounts of time scrolling and scrolling. Going back and forth to posts. Watching videos.
- It got toxic at times. Too many times I would see trolls either on friends posts, public fb pages or even my own page.
- With that said, I want to limit what I share with the world. I am not naturally and over sharer, but I want to have fruitful conversations with ppl, or actually have to things to say, or listen to friends actually talk about their life, without going, "oh yea I read that on fb.".
What do I do now?
- I want to invest my time more wisely. I want to spend time with friends or family offline. Whether that's calling, texting or seeing/visiting ppl/hanging out.
- I want to journal and write more often. So that means finding a new place to pour my thoughts, bits or reflections in. Whether that's writing them down, or putting them on this blog/platform.
- Find new ways to communicate with friends and family. Which goes along with the first reason.
I've got personal and family goals for 2018. Gonna keep that private for now. I hope to keep fb deleted for as long as I can. But I know it will be hard. It's only been 5 days and I miss a lot of ppl already. Sounds silly, but it's true. So now I will have to find a way to reach out to them and tell them that.